Recipients announced - Dr Sir John Te Ahikaiata Turei Memorial Grant
The grant is an initiative to enhance our organisation’s overall service delivery capability and is offered to applicants who contribute to the ability of the Fire and Emergency New Zealand to work more effectively with Māori communities.
Ko tōku reo tōku ohooho, ko tōku reo tōku māpihi maurea
Congratulations to the following recipients of the 2020/21 Dr Sir John Te Ahikaiata Turei Memorial Grant.
- Hoani Mafi, Senior Firefighter, Takapuna Station, to study Te Rōnakitanga ki te Reo Kairangi’, Level 5, Full immersion through Te Wānanga o Aotearoa.
- Kim Boyce, Business Services Coordinator, Muri Whenua Area, to study Heke Mātauranga Māori through Te Wānanga O Raukawa.
- Leanne Allen, Firefighter, West Harbour Station, to study Te Kunenga o Te Reo: Te Pūtaketanga o te Reo (Level 4) through Te Wananga o Aotearoa
- Warren Samuels, Station Officer, Auckland City Station, to study Te Ara Reo Māori (He Pī ka Pao) - Level 2 Course through Te Wānanga o Aotearoa.
- Hana Wainohu, Senior Firefighter, Napier Station, to study Te Aupikitanga o Te Reo Kairangi – Level 6 through Te Wānanga O Aotearoa.
- Trey Ryder, Firefighter, Avalon Fire Station, to study Ngā Toi (Whakairo-Ngā Mahi ā te Whare Pora) through Hetet school of Māori art.
- Brad Turner, Senior Firefighter, Motueka Volunteer Fire Brigade, to Study Te Pōkaitahi Reo 1 through Nelson Marlborough Institute of Technology.
- Joseph Stanley, Station Officer, Christchurch City Station, to study Te Ara Reo Maori – He Pi Ka Rere Level 4 through Te Wānanga o Aotearoa.
- Donna Lindsay, Senior Firefighter, Timaru Station, to study Elementary Te Reo Māori – Te Kaupae 3 through Ara – Institute of Canterbury.
- Emma Hay, Business Services Coordinator, to study Te Reo Whakahoahoa: Socialising in Te Reo and Te Reo Kōnakinaki: Developing Te Reo through Massey University.
- Dave Pennington, Rural Firefighter, Whananaki Rural Fire Station, to study New Zealand Certificate in Te Reo Māori (Rumaki, Reo Rua) (Kaupae 2) through North Tec.