International and local research indicates for many women working in fire and emergency industries, particularly those that work in gender isolation, networking is hugely beneficial.
Informal discussions amongst others who understand the nature of the job and the culture, can help to create a safe, inclusive atmosphere.
WFENZ provides opportunities to network and make connections with other women in fire services roles.
WFENZ Facebook group
This is a closed Facebook group(external link) for female Fire and Emergency personnel so we have a space to share ideas, support and inspire each other. If you are a woman in Fire and Emergency New Zealand, you are welcome to join the group. Please send your request through on Facebook.
WFENZ Regional and National Networks
We have established a network of 10 regional representatives, made up of one volunteer and one career staff member from each of the five regions. Each region has representatives from their area at meetings held throughout New Zealand.
We encourage everyone to attend a meeting when they are held in your area/region. The aim of the meetings is to create a safe inclusive space, where our women can discuss any issues we have, share the good things that’s happening, and enjoy the opportunity to network with other women working in similar roles. Feedback from past meetings has been extremely positive
Should anyone need to contact us for support or advice, or to find out who your area/region representative is, please email:
National Women's Advisory Committee (NWAC)
The NWAC’s purpose is to facilitate information flow from the ‘shop floor’ to the highest level of the organisation, identify barriers, provide advice and find solutions, and to celebrate the success of our women. The committee is composed of:
- the 10 regional representatives
- a national rural representative
- the national women’s advisor
- an external chairperson
- a representative from the operational leadership team
At an international level, we have members who are on the board of Women and Firefighting Australasia (WAFA)(external link)
- Women and Firefighting Australasia:(external link) WFENZ are affiliated with the group. Membership applications available online
- International Association of Women in Fire & Emergency Services – USA(external link)
- Networking Women in the Fire Service (NWFS) – UK:(external link) Established as a self-help independent voluntary group for women in the Fire and Rescue Service
- Fire Service Women Ontario(external link)
- The National Women’s Committee of the Fire Brigades Union – UK:(external link) Affiliated with the Fire Brigades Union
- Fire Service Women of New Jersey – USA: (external link)State wide group providing information on networking and fellowship for women active in any aspect of the fire service
- Fire Service Women of New York State – USA:(external link) Group for career and volunteer women firefighters encouraging networking for women in the fire service
- Camp Blaze – USA:(external link) Fire camp for young women