Stay well and look after each other
Look after yourself, your workmates and your families.
If you, or someone from your crew or family needs support, it’s okay to reach out for assistance. We encourage people to access the support the need.
How to get support?
All Fire and Emergency personnel, including volunteers and non-operational people, can refer themselves directly to:
1) You or your manager can contact a Peer Support person or Safety, Health and Wellbeing Advisor in your region.
Our Communication Centres can also put you in touch with the right person to talk to. You can do this without giving your name. Contact:
- Northern Communication Centre - 09 486 7948
- Central Communication Centre - 04 801 0812
- Southern Communication Centre - 03 341 0266
2) Confidential advice and counselling is available to all personnel and their immediate families at no cost – call our employee assistance programmes for work, family or personal concerns.
Contact details for employee assistance programmes in your region:
- Region 1, 2, 3 - Vitae Services on 0508 664 981, www.vitae.co.nz(external link)
- Region 4, 5 - EAP Services on 0800 327 669, www.eapservices.co.nz(external link),
or Workplace Support on 0800 443 445, or 0800 333 200, www.workplacesupport.co.nz(external link)
- NHQ - EAP Services on 0800 327 669, www.eapservices.co.nz(external link)
3) For psychological emergencies
If there is an urgent need, please contact your GP on call, Ambulance Service, or local hospital emergency department who can refer you to the Crisis Assessment and Treatment Teams (CATT) services in your area.
4) For more information on available services including contact details for peer support people in your region, go to the Portal page Critical Incident and Personal Stress Support (CIPSS) or download a copy of the Staying Well – Promoting Wellbeing and Resilience Guide
Please use all of the information provided to encourage people to access services if support is needed. Stay safe, healthy, and well.
Stay Well poster available
A Stay Well poster is available and can be placed in private areas around your Brigade/Fire Force or office. It includes wellbeing support details that are available to Fire and Emergency personnel and their immediate families.
If you haven’t already done so, share this information with people you are responsible for, or people who need it. You can print it off and put it up, download the PDF and share it with your teams, or send it on via email.
Our website and Portal have been updated
The Fire and Emergency website has been updated to add a range of national support services(external link), so that the public can find support if they need it. And our Safety, Health and Wellbeing information is now easier to find on our Portal. Go to Menu > Quicklinks > Safety, Health and Wellbeing
For more information on available services including contact details for peer support people in your region, check out Critical Incident and Personal Stress Support (CIPSS) or download a copy of the Staying Well – Promoting Wellbeing and Resilience Guide.