Shaping our future
Fire and Emergency New Zealand is changing to become a connected and responsive national fire and emergency service that better serves our communities. The Operating Model will guide what we will do, how we will do it and the way we will work.
Our new organisation has a strong foundation of passionate, committed and skilled people across the career, volunteer and non-operational spectrum. In lots of ways we do a great job now and we want to maintain the trust and confidence our communities have in us.
However, as well as improving what we do well now, we can explore new ways of working that will better meet the changing risks and needs of our communities.
At the end of last year, about 40 people from across the organisation (including representatives from unions and associations) got together to identify the key features of our proposed Operating Model.
There are ten key features of our Operating Model:
- Building the risks and needs of communities into the way that we work
- Unifying our service delivery
- Developing a shared and inclusive identity that celebrates our diversity
- Enabling sustainable volunteerism
- Partnering with key sector groups and organisations to jointly deliver co-ordinated services
- Collaboratively reducing risk, the impacts to people, property and the environment
- Being a fit-for-purpose organisation
- Creating a strategic national organisation
- Ensuring appropriate needs-based investment across the organisation
- Becoming intelligence led; technology enabled.
As we design how we’ll deliver these key features, we want feedback from as many people as possible about them.
We encourage you to discuss your ideas with your colleagues and managers and you can also provide feedback by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
We’ll formally consult with all personnel, and with unions and associations, once we’ve developed the proposed Operating Model. This consultation will start as soon as possible after July 2018.
More information about the Operating Model work is available on the Portal Integration pages.