The month of Movember is an opportunity be an active part of the men’s health movement. The Movember Foundation(external link) raises awareness and invests in both research and men’s health projects to stop men dying too young. They are tackling some of the biggest health issues faced by men: prostate cancer, testicular cancer and mental health and suicide prevention.
In our context, it’s important to be alert to the critical incidents and personal stressors our people may encounter. The stress associated with firefighting not only occurs following critical incidents but also from day-to-day challenges such as long hours, shift work, dealing with workplace change and financial or relationship pressures.
Research by the Movember Foundation has found that "70% of men say their friends can rely on them for support, but only 48% say that they rely on their friends. In other words: we’re here for our mates, but worried about asking for help for ourselves. Reaching out is crucial.”
Everyone will respond differently to critical incidents and personal stressors so it’s important that we provide support in a range of ways. Find out more about the options available to you and those you care about at health, safety and wellbeing support.
Fire and Emergency New Zealand Movember Challenge
Last year our Movember network raised $10,000 nationally to help change the face of men’s health. To build on that, we have started up a Fire and Emergency New Zealand Challenge and invite mo-bros and mo-sistas alike to join us as either individuals or in teams.
- Register online at www.movember.co.nz(external link)
- Search for the “Fire and Emergency New Zealand” challenge and “Join” us.
- Grow a Mo, move for Movember (challenge yourself to get physically active) or host an event (a great excuse for a catch up).
- Fundraise to change the face of men’s health, and help raise awareness of men’s health issues.
- Challenge your neighbouring fire forces / brigades / watches / teams to take part also!
United we Mo!
So get registered, and let’s challenge ourselves to build on the $10,000 we raised last year!
Any questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org