We advise of the death of Michael (Mike) Hall on 29 September 2019.
Mike was New Zealand Fire Service Chief Executive and National Commander from May 2001 until his retirement in December 2011, following a 30-year firefighting career in Australia.
In 2012 he was made a Companion of The Queen's Service Order for his leadership to help transform the New Zealand Fire Service into a national fire and rescue service.
In lieu of flowers, donations to The Fred Hollows Foundation NZ, Private Bag 99909, Newmarket 1149, Auckland, would be appreciated and can be left at the service.
A service will be held at 10.00am on Saturday 5 October 2019 at Southwards Car Museum, Otaihanga Rd, Otaihanga, Paraparaumu. All welcome.
As per the families wishes:
- All off-duty staff please attend in full dress uniform including caps and medals (caps for honour guard only – off inside please)
- All on-duty staff attend in station wear.
- Immediately following the service, those in dress uniform will form a guard of honour from the venue to a vintage appliance (and beyond if need be) where the coffin will be placed.
- At the same time, could on-duty staff please assemble beside your appliance in full level 2 and helmets, you will be brought to attention as the engine leaves the venue.
- Otaki VFB are providing the vintage appliance.
- SSO Wood (Thorndon) will be organising which Area 16 on-duty crews will attend and the required cover.
- AAC Abel will be doing the same for Area 15.
- SO Brink (Paraparaumu) will organise the parking of appliances at Southwards when they arrive – please be there at least 15 minutes early to allow for this.
- Any volunteer appliances attending please let SO Brink know, so he can allow space for you.