Looking ahead: our plan for the next three years
Our plan to fully integrate the functions of New Zealand’s urban and rural fire services by 2020 is now available. This plan, called the Blueprint, provides details about what will happen over the next three years.
It covers what we need to do to integrate the functions of urban and rural fire services and how they will work together. It describes how we will further deliver a well-coordinated response to fires and emergencies so we can better serve New Zealand, now and in the future. We are working on changes so we can better support our well trained people with the right equipment so they can continue to make a difference in our communities today and in the years ahead.
The Blueprint gives a description of what the organisation will look like when it is fully integrated from 2020 onwards, and what we need to do to strengthen ourselves to help communities be more resilient.
So what will the future look like?
• We will have agreed our approach to command and control.
• Our services will be integrated while addressing local risks and needs.
• Technology and equipment used by our people at incidents and emergencies will be more consistent and integrated.
• Fire and Emergency NZ will have a greater emphasis on the prevention and reduction of unwanted fires and other emergencies.
• We will further develop our strong connections with our communities and work with them on the right advice, planning and delivery of services for their needs.
• Our people will increasingly have the training and equipment to keep them safe and enable them to do their jobs well.
• We will have a strengthened national headquarters with the capabilities to better lead, manage and support our people.
We have developed a visual ‘road map’ so you can see at a glance some of the key milestones over the next three years. We will update this as decisions are made and things rolled out. It’s your shortcut to seeing what’s going on or coming up. You can find the ‘road map’ on the Portal.
More information about the Integration Phase, and how the work is being structured, is available from the Portal integration-phase page.
You can download these resources here: